Sunday, June 5, 2011

Seeing the Worth of Scripture

"Open my eyes that I might see wondrous things from thy law."  (Psalm 119:18)

Lord, please waken in me an unyielding desire for God's Word and grant fresh sight of how the worth of God's Word surpasses all things on this earth.


The Word of God awakens and strengthens faith.
"Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."  (Romans 10:17)

Through hearing the Word, God supplies the Holy Spirit.
"And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost."  (1 Thessalonians 1:6)

The Word of God creates and sustains life.
"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." (John 20:31)
"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."  (Matthew 4:4)

The Word of God gives hope.
"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope."  (Romans 15:4)

The Word of God leads us to freedom.
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  (John 8:32)

The Word of God is the key to answered prayer.
"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you."  (John 15:7)

The Word of God is the source of wisdom.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."  (Colossians 3:16)

The Word of God gives us crucial warnings.
"More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward."  (Psalm 19:10-11)

The Word of God enables us to defeat the devil.
"I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one."  (1 John 2:14)

The Word of God is, therefore, the source of great and lasting joy.
"The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver."  (Psalm 119:72)
"Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold."  (Psalm 119:127)
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"  (Psalm 119:103)
"Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food."  (Job 23:12)
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts."  (Jeremiah 15:16)
"O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day."  (Psalm 119:97)
 John Piper, When I Don't Desire GOD, How to Fight for Joy, (for complete commentary read pages 95-113)

No comments: