We sang this hymn at church today from the Cantus Christi. I wanted to post it here, but didn't want to take the time to type it all out so I did an online search to copy it over. I found this version at http://www.lutheran-hymnal.com/lyrics/tlh518.htm. Interesting note, the Cantus doesn't have all the following verses.
May you be as encouraged by these words as I was this morning.
"If Thou But Suffer God to Guide Thee"by Georg Neumark, 1621-1681Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1829-1878
1. If thou but suffer God to guide theeAnd hope in Him through all thy ways,He'll give thee strength, whate'er betide thee,And bear thee through the evil days.Who trusts in God's unchanging loveBuilds on the Rock that naught can move.
2. What can these anxious cares avail thee,These never-ceasing moans and sighs?What can it help if thou bewail theeO'er each dark moment as it flies?Our cross and trials do but pressThe heavier for our bitterness.
3. Be patient and await His leisureIn cheerful hope, with heart contentTo take whate'er thy Father's pleasureAnd His discerning love hath sent,Nor doubt our inmost wants are knownTo Him who chose us for His own.
4. God knows full well when times of gladnessShall be the needful thing for thee.When He has tried thy soul with sadnessAnd from all guile has found thee free,He comes to thee all unawareAnd makes thee own His loving care.
5. Nor think amid the fiery trialThat God hath cast thee off unheard,That he whose hopes meet no denialMust surely be of God preferred.Time passes and much change doth bringAnd sets a bound to everything.
6. All are alike before the Highest;'Tis easy to our God, we know,To raise thee up, though low thou liest,To make the rich man poor and low.True wonders still by Him are wroughtWho setteth up and brings to naught.
7. Sing, pray, and keep His ways unswerving,Perform thy duties faithfully,And trust His Word, though undeserving,Thou yet shalt find it true for thee.God never yet forsook in needThe soul that trusted Him indeed.
Hymn #518 The Lutheran HymnalText: Ps. 55:22Author: Georg Neumark, 1640Translated by: Catherine Winkworth, 1863, alt.Titled: "Wer nur den lieben Gott laesst walten"Composer: Georg Neumark, 1640Tune: "Wer nur den lieben Gott"